Japan 2019 – Day 7

(This post is part of a series, you can start here or the view the previous post. You can also checkout the Google Photos album, which has all the pictures I took, as well as those of Mikel and Jesse.)

I woke up a little sick today, unfortunately. It’s not so bad right now and I hope it doesn’t get worse, it would be a bummer to miss out in things. At least today was more of a travel day than anything so I got to relax on the train instead of walking a ton.

We took the Shinkansen bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto. When we purchased our tickets at the Tokyo station, I was surprised that in order to even get to the ticket booth you had to have proof you had paid for your entry. Super weird, I would have expected ticket purchases to be outside of such an area. Oh well.

We grabbed sushi at Tokyo station, which we ate on the train. It was pretty good.

“This is better than it has any right to be” – Mikel

The train was much like an Amtrak, though a bit nicer and much, much faster. It was pretty uneventful but I’ll mention a couple things, and then another thing. The first is that the woman in front of me asked if she could put her seat back (in fun, awkward English) and when she did it was barely perceptible. In retrospect, I actually wish I had told her she could go as far as she wants (I’m comfortable with virtually no leg room). The second thing was they sold ice cream on board:

Not a mistranslation

I wanted to pay with exact change but ended up giving her a 500 yen coin for a 370 yen purchase, and as she saw the change in my hand she took a couple 10 yen coins so she could give me 150 back (two coins, 100 and 50) instead of a slightly more awkward 130. I appreciated that.

Ok so the other thing. I spent a good chunk of time working on an Android app while on the train, and that went well, but I ended up having a killer headache which left me totally useless. I was afraid it was going to knock me out for the rest of the day but I was feeling ok by the time the train arrived. I feel alright at the moment but have been anxious that the headache would come back.

We took one local train after the bullet train and our new Airbnb was a short walk from the local train stop. Here were the photos I got when we arrived:

I tried to take pictures of our place, but it’s small and I couldn’t find a good shot. It’s not as nice as the previous place we were at, but it’s substantially cheaper. I suspect I would prefer an upgrade, but we’ll be fine.

We decided to take the downtime before dinner rather than do any exploring. Jesse and I did some planning – a park, castle and observatory tomorrow, the aquarium on Sunday (which we might zip through if we find our third aquarium boring) and then Kyoto, including The Bamboo Forest of Arashiyama. That’ll be it for Osaka, Tuesday we head back to Tokyo for one night before we fly back to California. I also did a little bit more Android coding, I’m pleased to have done some project work during my vacation!

For dinner, Jesse booked a reservation at the #11 restaurant, #1 for Kobe, in the city. I was able to verify on Tripadvisor it’s non-smoking. I was pretty excited since he’s been hyping Kobe for literally months. It was hotpot style, and I thought the start was photogenic enough for here:

Jesse ended up loving it, which I’m glad about, but Mikel and I were unimpressed. We’re not a fan of hotpot style in the first place and my experience with the beef itself was rather unextraordinary. There was a soup at the end which I did enjoy, but if I were to do Kobe again I would make the effort to get a proper steak.

The only other notable thing about the day was a mistranslation I saw on the way back from dinner:

Other than that I’m going to work on Android stuff for the rest of the night, but I’m looking forward to tomorrow!

Fitbit step count for the day: 10,823

Next: Day 8 (part 1)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.